Purpose of the position
To plan, direct and manage the quality process, in line with the overall corporate/customer quality requirement.Provide the focus and leadership for quality improvement activities, which are cost effective and customer responsive.
Nature and scope
The Quality Assurance Manager reports directly to the Plant Manager. He/She is assisted by the Quality Control manager and has authority over the Process Team Leaders and Q.C. Inspectors on each shift. The Quality Assurance Manager is the plants quality representative as detailed in ISO 9000:2000
He/She is also responsible for the development and maintenance of the environmental system in the plant and must ensure that all relevant company standards and regulatory requirements are met
- Maintenance and development of the plants quality system. This includes the updating of the Quality manuals and supporting procedures
- Organising internal audits and ensuring audit schedules are undertaken and adhered to
- Liaison with external auditors and certification body
- Assessment and approval of any new inspection and test equipment utilised in the plant
- Ensuring that all required equipment is subject to periodic calibration as defined in the calibration procedures
- Reviewing the manufacturing process to detect any unusual or worrying trends and bringing these to the attention of the relevant personnel
- Planning and implementation of Quality awareness training
- Approving any new materials and processes following a trial period
- To promote quality improvement and preventative actions.
- Participating as a member of the Senior Management Team
- Keeping abreast of any new equipment, gauges or processes that are relevant to our industry
- Implementation of S.P.C. techniques for process control.
- Liaison with head office quality group
- Reviewing specifications from customers when requested by head office to establish that all requirements can be met by the plant
- Co-ordinating Quality Action Reports
- Liaison with customers, both directly and through the T4C meetings
- Liaison with major material suppliers with regular technical liaison meetings
- Promoting an atmosphere of quality awareness and quality improvement at all levels within the plant
- Ensure that all persons reporting to him/her work in a safe manner and to promote safety leadership in all activities
- Reviewing all customer complaints to detect any overall trends and ensure that any necessary actions to prevent a reoccurrence of the problem are taken
- Reviewing H.F.I. produced each month and highlighting significant problems to production personnel and management
- Manage all site Food Safety to meet the requirements of relevant industry standards, group RQP’s, ISO 22000:2005 and BRC.
- Ad hoc project work as required
- The contents of this documents are not a definitive list and may change over time in accordance with the changing needs of the business
- Participate in workplace inspections
- The Quality Assurance Manager’s absence is covered by the Quality Control Manager and vice versa.
Requirements for this position
- Degree in technical or business studies discipline.
- Preferably holds an Engineering Qualification
- Preferably a post-graduate diploma (MBA, Msc Manufacturing science)
- Problem solving/total quality skills
- Experience in a high speed, high volume continuous process Manufacturing environment
- Production/Engineering background
- Successful track record in man management
- Good understanding of modern lean manufacturing techniques – SMED, Kaizen 5S, Kanban, Structured Problem solving, TPM/OEE, SPC, 6 Sigma etc
- Proven record of achievement
- A Management style heavily orientated to training and coaching
- Good computer skills – ability to manage via computerised data
- Fluent English